bdboyle@bdboyle.com
Date: Fri May 7, 2010 10:25 am
Subject: Re: Windshield Placement?

--- In lotuseuropa@yahoogroups.com, "rotary911porsche" <rotary911porsche@...>
wrote:

> Getting ready to set the windshield/windscreen in the body. I assume the
glass should be flush with the fiberglass to get the best fit for the trim. Am
I close?

Close. Depends on whether you're going with pattern trim from RD or Bean or ?.

Pattern trim that the usual suspects are selling is usually attached to the
window first and then the whole magilla is set into a THICK bed of urethane in
the channel and pushed in (don't forget to support the roof with a couple of
2x4s from the roof to the floor...otherwise, you'll be assuming the modified
lotus position inside the car applying a make-up bead of urethane along the top
edge...ask me how I know...).

What I did (and free free to comment...it's a free country...).

You'll need:
1. pair of big suction cups
2. masking tape
3. Glass edge primer
4. 2 or 3 tubes of urethane windshield compound (that fit in a normal caulking
gun...try NAPA)
5. Heat gun
6. Trim
7. End pieces

(why a heat gun? To GENTLY warm the trim so as to form it to the contour of the
windshield...).

You'll also need the small spacers for the bottom as specified in the workshop
manual. FWIW, they're pieces of plastic, about 3/16 thick, that keep the bottom
of the windshield off the body and allow it to be centered vertically in the
opening

Just follow the directions in section B.38 of the workshop manual (I'm assuming
you have a post-1/1/1970 car, which is when they went to the direct glazing
method...), substituting using the urethane sealer for wherever the manual says
"Butyl". Butyl dries out and eventually releases the windscreen. Not good.
Butyl is still good for doing the side windows and such, but, the windscreen is
a stressed member of the body, so...

You'll want to use the primer to mask the edge (called the 'frit' of the
windscreen; I came up onto the inner edge about 1" on the tops and sides, and
1.25" on the bottom to give a black border to hide the dash edge etc and provide
a more 'finished' look. How do you get a clean edge? Use a piece of 1" masking
tape aligned with the edge all the way around, then set more masking tape butted
up against the outer piece, make sure the edge of the second piece is tight
down, then remove the 1" piece. Nice and clean.

I've some photos in my web site in the 693R photo album, 2007 directory, under
10.27.07 entry with some photos of the installation.

As I said, use some braces along the top edge to support the roof when you put
the windshield in place. Otherwise, you won't get a good seal there, and will
have to come back, from the inside, and lay in a bead along the top edge and
push more urethane in to close it off.

I have a complete description of the process in the restoration journal of 693,
btw, so, I won't reprint that here.

HTH.

Bryan
693R 65/2678